When you enter a premier tanning salon, you might be met with the question: “Would you like a stand-up tanning bed or a lay-down tanning bed?” If you haven’t been given this choice before, you may feel confused as to which is the best decision.
Ultimately, it’s a matter of preference for most people. Both types of tanning beds will provide an amazing, natural-looking tan, but the experience can vary.
This breakdown will help you make the choice that is right for you:
Selecting a Lay-Down Tanning Bed
- Lay down tanning beds allow you to rest and relax while getting your desired tan. This is a more traditional bed and is often what people expect when they come for a tanning salon experience. For many, this is the only time during their day when they can rest their eyes and let their mind wander. In many ways, it’s a therapeutic experience and can be very comforting under the warm lights.
- Lay down tanning bed sessions last anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes. The lights are not usually as intense in these beds. Another aspect that many people enjoy when using a lay down tanning bed is the longer-lasting sessions. This increases the relaxation of the experience and allows for more rest time while tanning. While the lights are not as intense, they do still provide a nice tan for those who select this tanning bed option.
- Lay down tanning beds do have pressure points, which can impact the final look of the tan. One of the downsides to selecting a lay down tanning bed is the fact that pressure points are created while you are resting on the bed. This prevents the UV rays from being fully absorbed by the skin and can create small spots or creases in the tan. Those who are trying to decide between the two types of tanning beds should consider this before making their final selection.
Selecting a Stand-Up Tanning Bed
- Stand up tanning beds require you to stand in place for the duration of the session. Compared to the lay down tanning bed, the stand up bed can feel more like work than a relaxing afternoon at the salon. Those who are used to having a more restful experience may not enjoy the stand up bed as much as they like the lay down tanning bed.
- The lights in a stand up bed are more intense, so the tanning sessions can be shorter. Most last for about 10 to 15 minutes. This is a benefit to those who do enjoy standing in place for their tanning session. These shorter sessions have also made the stand up tanning beds a popular choice for those who are trying to get a great tan on the go. It’s easy to fit in a stand up tanning session on a lunch break or on the way home from work.
- Many people report that they get a more even tan when using a stand up bed. There are no pressure points, and the UV light has access to all exposed skin. There are rarely crease lines or pressure point marks when a person uses a stand up tanning bed, which has led more people to select this option.
Every person who comes into a tanning salon has different goals. Some are looking to bronze up before an upcoming vacation to a tropical destination, whereas others are hoping to maintain a healthy tan throughout the entire year. Regardless of your individual goals when tanning, it’s important that you go to a tanning salon that will work with you to help you achieve the look that you want and need.
At Tommy’s Tanning, we provide all of our clients with personalized customer service and care. We work with you to help you choose the tanning bed that will allow you to relax and stay comfortable while achieving an amazing tan. In addition, we provide recommendations for the best skin care products that will give you an improved, long-lasting tan.
For more information on how to get the best tan at Tommy’s Tanning, contact us today.